Monday, February 12, 2007

Bridge over troubled water


Valeria Maltoni in her latest post about why we blog made me the honour to be one the five bloggers mentioned.
I tell you that this is a great reward to me for some reasons:

- Valeria run a great blog, very well written
- she is a skilled professional and has a terrific professional profile
- the other blogs mentioned are top class

I left my previous job on May last year to learn more on the Web 2.0 and purposely went to explore the market in the US and the English speaking blogosphere.
I found a fascinating world made of professionals in marketing, advertising, pr.
At the very beginning, I pose, as the title of a book from my favourite write, Bruce Chatwin, a question to myself: " What I'm doing here?"
The answer was, and is, that all my way into blogging is driven by learning.

At Lewis Green's place, I've learnt about integrity and ethic in this business. Most of the time conversation with Lewis turn over the transparent and honest approach to clients, their (and our) business and, in general, to the others;

at Tim Jacksons's place, I've learnt about pure passion. It seldom happen that someone get the gift to work for the company of his/her dream. Well, Tim is one of this lucky few and everything in his blog delivers the passion for his job and his company. Something that we should all feel in our everyday life;

at Mack Collier's place, I've learnt about the social media. His blog is a real catalyst and we do share the passion about the strange way the music majors try to stop the world going round and round;

at Gavin Heaton's place, I've learnt that the miles are no longer a factor when you share a common language (and the by the way, he'got the book earlier than me!!);

at Simone Morgagni's place, I've learnt the beauty of writing. His blog (unfortunately it's only in italian) is a great place where to discuss of linguistic, politic, philosophy for the pleasure of the discussion, something as what the ancient Greeks called the Agorà.

One goal, five places.
But many others are around, some of them I've already linked and I'm grateful to, some of them I hope I'll know in the future because when to get into the blogosphere, you begin a journey.


17 comments:

Valeria Maltoni said...

Gianandrea: what a neat idea -- visiting places. I'm also a frequent visitor of all the blogs you highlight and I agree with your assessment. And I'm lucky enough to be able to read Simone Morgagni's Sproloqui Semiosici, which is in itself a mouthful.

Mack Collier said...

Great point G, I know that for me, it has definitely been a journey; a journey of learning and community. Been a wonderful trip so far!

gianandrea said...

Valeria, I like to relate to travel. Chatwin was a great source of inspiration to me even if today most of the places he travelled cannot be visit because of the war. He took astonishing pictures of Afghanistan in the 60s.

gianandrea said...

Mack, I've learnt how to write your name, too (first mail to Mack, i wrote Mark).

Anonymous said...

Well...

As i live in France, i thought, it will be obvious to write in french and about this country...

As the greatest part of blogosphere is written in english, i thought, it will be obvious to write in english to be comprehensible all around the world

As i'm italian, i thought, i have to write in italian, not to loose touch with the homeland and the language...

I think i had to write in too many languages, i need someone to translate my posts!!!

(i have a blog in english, i prepared it some months ago, but i've never had the time to write my first post, look here!!! http://www.simonemorgagni.it/english/)

Anonymous said...

Gianandrea,

Thank you for the shout out and right back at you. Your Post is one of a half-dozen that I read three to four times a week because you write from such a personal point of view. By the way, I also enjoy Chatwin, perhaps because for six years I made my living as a travel writer.

gianandrea said...

Simone, you are a terrific guy. I suppose it should be a tough task to translate your blog into any other language because it's written in such a great and articulate way. And I'm going to get to Lulu to buy your essay.

gianandrea said...

Lewis, reading Chatwin teach to me to travel and to live with a light luggage and not to be slave of things.

Anonymous said...

G ... this is a great way to introduce the blogs you like (and thanks by the way). I too like the reference to Chatwin -- it is easy to travel the world of ideas through blogs ... and at the same time find yourself visiting countries, cultures and living rooms of some amazing and passionate people.

Bob G said...

A great post, gianandrea, that highlights a couple of my favorite blog authors - we share admiration for these individuals. Terrific insight shared showing the value of getting out from under the shadow of own blog. Enjoy the ride!
Ciao -

gianandrea said...

gavin, we do all have curiosity for the others, both as bloggers and as human. the sense of open and fluid community is what makes the ride worthwhile, bob.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I just started that blogsphere journey 6 months ago and am finding it fascinating. However, only during the last month or so have I moved into the marketing community and there, I truly am learning something new...even all the way from here in Marrakech. And Gavin is a favorite of mine too:-)

gianandrea said...

Maryam, thanks for join my blog and for the comments. You live in such a great place! I suggest everybody to read your blog: it's fresh, so different from the blogs we use to read, and spirited.

Anonymous said...

Hi G :-). This was/is a terrific post and a creative way to answer Valeria's tag. I'm so happy you joined the conversation...we're all better for it (and your blog rocks).

gianandrea said...

thanks ck, you are a creative mistress in blogging.

Tim Jackson said...

Jeesh, thanks. I feel pretty darned privileged to be listed in this group- I am more than a little flattered.

You do a great job yourself G. I am always so impressed by your ability to communicate in a language that is not yours. How well you express your ideas.

Thank you for sharing.

gianandrea said...

tim, welcome back.